On 20 October 1919, at a ceremonial meeting in the Assembly Hall of the Collegium Novum of the Jagiellonian University, the Head of State Józef Piłsudski declared: “I hereby declare the Mining Academy in Cracow to be open”. He confirmed this by placing his signature with an eagle quill on a parchment page of the commemorative Royal Charter.
And so began the history of the Mining Academy and the Faculty of Mines. During the first academic year 1919/1920, 80 students were admitted to the only active Faculty of Mines. Until 1990, the Faculty of Mines recruited only one course of study – Mining and Geology (at present Minign Engineering). The beginning of the 1990s saw the opening of new faculties: Management and Marketing (1991, now it is Industrial Process Engineering and Management), Construction (1994), Environmental Engineering (1995, now Environmental Development Engineering). As of 2019, the faculty’s educational offer will be extended by another course, Revitalization of Degraded Areas.
In 2002, the faculty changed its name to Faculty of Mining and Geoengineering. In the years 1919-2021 (excluding the period of World War II 1939-1945), the Faculty was managed by 28 Deans who served 36 terms. Five Deans later became Rectors of the AGH University of Science and Technology. These were Professors Antoni Hoborski, Walery Goetel, Witold Budryk, Henryk Filcek and Antoni Tajduś.
During its over 100-year history, the Faculty has continuously been one of the most important research centres nationally and globally. This has been reflected in its position as a leader in research and innovative solutions. It has also resulted in more than 23,000 highly specialised graduates who find employment in various industrial areas in Poland and abroad. They have always had a lot in common, and one thing distinguished them from all the others – they were engineers who graduated from the oldest Faculty at AGH University.In 2021, the Faculty changed its name to the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Resource Management, which better reflects both the structure of its didactics and the course of study it follows.